Sunday, February 1, 2009

Vamos Sevilla!

Oh Man! What a weekend!

But first let me take you back to Thursday night to very loud and very rowdy Sevilla F.C and Valencia C.F. soccer game. I went to the game with several of my amigos from school and for the most part, we like dumb Americans, know nothing about soccer like the Europeans do. The game was a rematch of last week's come back victory by Valencia over Sevilla, however this time Sevilla won. Picture a tied match, 1-1 and Sevilla scores a goal in the last minute to win. How perfect was that? The game's intensity was matched by the fans. The fans make up the experience of the game with flag waving, chants and songs. I dont even understand soccer really and I was yelling and screaming like a Sevillano.

Observations I noticed from the night:

1. Alcohol is not sold at the stadium. Booze plus European football fans equals riots, so take out the booze beforehand and let people get liquored up before the game.

2. Any seat is a good seat in a soccer stadium.

3. Smoking is allowed in the seats of the stadium.

After the game, I took the bus and waited for another connection to El Centro, I talked to an
Italian guy from Palermo who needed directions to where I was headed. Trying speaking Spanish to someone who doesnt even speak English. Afterwards, I met some PR professionals from Mexico of all places at the bus stop. I make it to El Centro and eat at a rather good pizza place where I wind up meeting a Spanish student who is studying at Texas State in San Marcos.

No comments: