Sunday, February 15, 2009

Three Lions Without a Mane

The big game was Thursday. Spain and England played in a one sided game with Spain being the champions winning 2-0. However, I went for the atmosphere and experience of being around crazy fans and the stories are true of the British football fans and I'm here to validate that. Yes it's true. I was at a bar/restaurant next to the stadium and sitting there, just lazily talking to some Americans I had befriended along the way. The next thing you know I hear a lot of commotion and noise outside, turns out two British fans got sent to the hospital after a skirmish with some Spanish fans. The difference between the Spanish fans and the British is that the Spaniards can still fight because they aren't so beligerently drunk. Another story from the day, I found out from a professor of mine and some other people in my class who were over at a bar near the Cathedral at this Irish pub called Flaherty's, there were some even more ridiculous British fans. Several British fans were outside naked, yelling and throwing things at cars and at a people on the street and probably singing "God Save the Queen" or any chants of England that has to do with soccer.

For the game itself, Spain had most of the ball possession and had more pep in their step and technique than England did. David Beckham came into the game with 20 minutes remaining and almost had an assist had it not been for an epic power save by a Spanish defender. So sorry England to rain on your parade. Spain obviously looked good after repeating as Euro Cup champions last year.

If you can tell me what the Three Lions are, shoot me a message on Facebook or email me. I'll be impressed that you took the time to research my title.

No comments: