Sunday, February 15, 2009

1492

This Friday was a day trip to the town of La Rabida and Moguer, Spain. La Rabida is home to a famous monastery where Columbus or Cristobal Colon( has he's known over here) validated and provided evidence that world was indeed round. He discussed such matters with a Friar named
Perez. I got to go into the room where such discussions took place. La Rabida is also a still functioning monastery with 6 monks. I did not see any monks, however i'm sure they were around. This was the trip that I took the least amount of pictures because, we were not allowed to take pictures inside the monastery. However, there was a very well preserved Art Deco mural done during the 1929 Iberian-American fair at the monastery to commorate Colon and the New World.




In Moguer, it was a quick trip and visited a monument to the 1956 Nobel Literature winner, Juan Jimenez. Trivia #2: If you can tell me his most well known work, send me the answer.



And the surprise of the day was going to the beach at Matalascanas. It's near Huelva and Almonte. I liked this beach a tad better than the one in Malaga because it's a tiny town and not overly developed, very calm since it's not the middle of summer. I braved the water and was one of the few hearty souls to take on the Atlantic. More about Matalascanas in the next post.

No comments: