Thursday, April 2, 2009

Miles Away From Ordinary

It's been a little busy for me this past week, with school winding down and about a MONTH LEFT IN SPAIN. It's crazy how fast the time has gone by here. I am going to Dublin, Ireland this weekend starting Saturday and return Tuesday, where I have no school at all because here it is Semana Santa or Holy Week for easter. I am staying in Seville that week to save some money and take in the Spanish culture of Semana Santa. It's supposed to be unbelievably crowded that week. The following week is school, then finals, then a bullfight on April 17th, then I am done on April 24th and Feria starting April 28th. I am planning to be gone to Germany and the Czech Republic between now and then as well. Then good ol' Mesquite, Texas on May 7th.

Goodness, I have quite a busy life.

Ok let's recap my weekend. I went on a weekend adventure to the Canary Islands. Yes, I know be jealous, all you want. My buddy from the school, Colten, and I went and stayed at hotel that were near all the bars and discotecas on the southern part of the island. Oh, it didn't hurt we were staying pretty much on the water too. It's such a hard life. The Canary Islands are 200 miles off the west coast of Africa between Morocco and Western Sahara. So tell that tells you how far I was away from Spain, but the Canaries are still Spanish territory. However, it didn't feel like it with all the British and German retirees. I felt like it was the UK with a sunburn or the European Florida.

Fun fact about the Canary Islands: Christopher Columbus stopped there on the way to the Americas and General Franco was "governor" of the islands because the Spaniards didn't really want him on the mainland. I think we all know how that one went down.

Friday started off leaving school and catching the 32 busline (the one I take to school every morning) to Sevilla Santa Justa Train Station. On my way to the bus station, there was a character with a makeshift pipe and tray made out of aluminum smoking God knows what on the bus in the back. Every now and then, he'd take a hit of whatever he was smoking and then quickly and furtively duck back down in the very back seat and open the window for ventilation. Being in Europe, I have seen more stuff here than I think I would ever back home.

On the way to the airport, I met a couple around my age who were Spaniards and asked them if the bus I needed was gonna take me to the Sevilla Airport, when I got to the airport they were standing in line and bound for the island of Tenerife, just as I was. My buddy and I get on the plane and chill out for the 2 and a half hour plane ride, because a) it's long way from the mainland and b) Tenerife is on the same time zone as Portugal and England. Flying into Tenerife was way cool, I have never been to Hawaii, but I assume it's what it looks like. Mountains and greenery everywhere on the North side of the Island. Words nor pictures can accurately take in how beautiful it was. Colten and I proceed next to take a bus to our hotel on the Playa de Las Americas which is about an hour and a half bus ride from Tenerife North. The ride there was beautiful with seeing different terrain and the mountains, plus the mist and clouds in the air. It was lighting raining when we got in. We spent and chilled some time just relaxing after traveling all afternoon and decided to go get some food. Just to let you know how Americanized/English the island of Tenerife is they have a Tony Roma's and a Hooters, besides a restaurant as hokey as it sounds, American Dreamz, was actually real cheap and really good, they had jalepenos.

Later that night after dinner, we get persuaded to go to this bar by an Irish guy working for this bar because he gave us drink coupons. We go in and find ourself, just hanging out and find a table to just sit and talk and bask in the manliness that is two pints for 5 euro. We were approached by one of the girls working at the bar who was from Bristol, England. I'm not the one to say that the British people are the most attractive in the world, but she was definitely gorgeous. We found out she had been in Tenerife for 3 weeks and didn't know any Spanish at all and was gonna work there all summer and then move back to Bristol. Colten and I the rest of the night decided to talk about every girl we saw in Spanish, because I didn't see an entire Spanish girl the entire night.

Boys will be boys. Cute English girl received an "once"


Day 2 and 3 next...

No comments: